Friday, July 2, 2010

False Labor

Way back in the dark ages, college, my creative writing professor said that getting a book published is like being pregnant; it takes about nine months.

Most writers would say it takes longer than that. You have an idea that you gestate into a full blown manuscript, and then you have to work to get it published. Whether or not you go traditional route or self-publish, the process is pretty much the same.

But what he didn't tell you was the false labor that also accompanies the publishing process. You work hard to reach that goal of seeing your book in print. You submit your manuscript and get a proof back in your hands.

And there is it, in your hands, a copy of what your book will look like when you approve it and send it out into the world. Then you open it..

Crap!!! mistakes and typos. I knew I was in trouble when I noticed on the copyright notice Yahoo was spelled with 3 o's. I can't even blame my copy editor or typsetter because I am the copy editor and typesetter! Out comes the red pen and I pour over the manuscript. It's bleeding ink, but I'm satisfied I have corrected the mistakes.

Off goes the revised manuscript. Order another proof and I wait, again.

Crap!! More mistakes. Start the process all over again. make the corrections revise the manuscript, upload it and order a new proof

Well hopefully the third time will be the charm. I'm running out of red ink.

1 comment:

  1. Steve, I probably should know this from CW, but which book are you about ready to send out into the world? And with whom are you publishing it?

    ReplyDelete