Friday, November 11, 2011

The Month of Nines

I recently heard a story about the old pastor of the church I grew up in.


His Name was Albert V. Clock. I knew him as Dr. Clock. He had earned a Doctor of Theology degree from Dallas Theological Seminary and had come to Northern Ontario to start a Bible College in our very rural community of Goulais River.


I was speaking with a man named Rod. Rod had at one time owned a furniture store in town and Dr. Clock would sometimes drop in to say hello. Rod said that one day they were talking about how God works and was told this following story.


For the sake of brevity, I am going to shorten it up a bit.


"Rod," said Dr. Clock. "I build churches. I go out to the plot of land and lay out the spot for the building and start digging the foundations."


"People would come by and ask what I was doing. I would tell them I was building a church. They would say, "Are you crazy? You don't have the money to build a church."


"I would reply, "The Lord wants me to build a church. If He wants me to stop, then the money will stop coming in.""


Then he said to Rod, "You know, I always had something to do on that building. The money would keep on coming until the church was built, then it would stop."


Now what does this mean to a nine-year old boy? Absolutely nothing.


I was nine-years old when I first met Dr. Clock. It was during Vacation Bible School at the newly formed Northland Bible College campus, which consisted of 70 acres of land, a farm house, a small cabin, a barn and a few utility sheds. There was a hole in the ground where the foundations were being laid for a building that would serve both the college and the new church family that was now meeting in the farm house kitchen.


Dr. Clock stood in the middle of a circle of fidgety children with a smile on his face as he welcomed us that first morning. He was dressed in jeans, plaid shirt and a beat up old straw hat. He called us Mohicans (whatever that was) and we sang John 3:16. Our classroom was in the hay loft in the barn.


Now to a nine year old boy, VBS was something else. We went on hikes, had horseback rides, a hayride, and a treasure hunt on the last day that had us running over half the property.


We heard the Bible stories, memorized Scripture, and were encouraged to bring friends for the contest. At the end of the week, we went home with the wooden matchstick cross we made in craft, a workbook that we had done during the week and an invitation to come to something called Sunday School.


Our Sunday school class was held in the barn until it got too cold and then we spent the winter at one of the member's houses. The chapel building was ready for use the next spring and we moved into it for our Sunday meetings.


It was during the fall in the back corner classroom that my life changed forever. It was there during my Sunday school class that I gave my life to Christ.


What makes the story more poignant is Northland Bible Chapel was the last church Dr. Clock built. During the week it served as the campus for Northland Bible College and on weekends, it was home to the chapel family.


Dr. Clock, led by his commitment to provide quality Bible training, not only to young people to make them able ministers, he also built one last church were he spent the remainder of his life ministering at.


The questioned I asked myself and I am asking you today is this: What is your level of commitment to what you believe?


To a nine-year old boy, that commitment caused a life-changing experience. How many nine-year olds will say the same of you?

12 comments:

  1. Like how your use of nine was your age. Good thought to ponder about commitment level. Is it merely lip service or walking the talk. I also like the fact that your church meeting was in a barn which is a great reminder that the church is not the building but the people in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your thought provoking nine post

    biiiiig hug

    JayBee

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never know how our lives will affect children. This Dr. Clock sounds like a wonderful man. He has to be, if he brought you to the Lord. Great post!

    ~ VT

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a new twist on the nine theme and probably one of the more poignant and thought provoking ones. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful story. I had a friend who related that his pastor would start a fund raising drive by saying, "Anytime we call on the Lord, he takes care of our needs. He's always been faithful, but will He be once again?"

    Someone similiar to Dr. Clock founded a church a few miles from us. Same MO: he showed up everyday and started working by himself. Someone stopped and said," You can't lift those beams by yourself." Next thing you know, he had help.
    Peace and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent, live by faith in God, He is all we need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, you really nailed it with that last line. I'm not sure I like it so much, but that's only because it's a stunning conviction (the kind that have the most significant and authentic impact, which are both the most important and least enjoyable). Way to use testimony to put things in immediate and very relevant terms.

    Nicely done, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr. Clock sounds amazing; thanks for "introducing" him to me.

    Oh and I liked how you used your age for the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - great ending question. Since I write books for children, I especially need to keep that question in front of me. Really great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful testimony and spin on our topic, Steve. I appreciate your sharing it with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve, wow, yes, how many can say our living example of a faithful, BIG God will change the life of even one? What a blessing that God worked all the events of that summer together to bring you to Himself. Oh, to see the Hand of the Father at work in all the small details, and to be a part of that! Isn't that what life here on earth is all about?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steve, Great work. I love how you saved the tie into your faith journey until the end. Well done on this piece of writing.

    CH Dyer

    ReplyDelete