Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Oh good, now I don't feel so bad.

I recently purchased a new toy; a tablet. One of the first things I did was to download a bunch of free stuff. One of those things was a complete set of Harry Potter. In spite of all the controversy that surrounded these books, they are very well written and tell a good story. So I settled down to read the Philosopher's Stone, which I haven't read for quite a while.

So now I am getting used to an e-reader. It does have its good points, like I can read without having to turn on a light, which makes my wife happy. If I get bored reading, I can always take a break and play a game, check my email or start another book without having to go to the library or book store.

But I was very surprised by the amount of typos this particular e-book contains. It was not just a couple here or there, but a lot. Some of them I put down to bad formatting. but there were quite a few typos in it like on several occasions reading about a character named Fitch instead of Filch. I didn't know there was a character named Fitch in the book.

But this does put it into a bit of perspective for my. I worry about one typo appearing in my work, even though I know they are there. I find that it doesn't matter how many times I read a manuscript and correct it, I will come across yet another typo that I didn't notice the first twenty times I read and edited the manuscript.

Of course it goes without saying that after you have approved the proof and your child is sent out into the world, you will discover several more typos or grammatical no-nos in it and you hang your head in defeat.

I am not saying we should not strive to present our work in the best possible light. The point I am attempting to make is there comes a point when you have to quite quibbling over minutia and let it go; warts and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment