Saturday, April 17, 2010

The author and finisher of my faith

I'm just about finished my draft for The Bible School Dropout's Guide to Hebrews. It has been an ongoing project for over a year now. After all, it is only right if I'm writing a study guide, that I should study the book myself!
It has been an amazing journey. From a writer's viewpoint, seeing the author develop his argument piece by piece until the only conclusion you can come to is to believe in Jesus. He skillfully weaves the Old Testament into his masterpiece, showing how the prophets, priests. sacrifices, the tabernacle, and the Law were all pictures of Christ, God's solution.
In Chapter 12, we are encouraged to look to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. As a writer, I understand this concept well.
A writer creates a world in which he places his creation and creatures. He gives them life and sets a goal before them and tests them along the way to see if they are worthy to reach that goal. He guides their actions and knows how they will respond to certain circumstances which he puts in their paths.
Jesus is my author. He is writing my story and guiding me to the climax, when I will reach the goal that is set before me. My story is filled with unexpected plot twists, red herrings, and more than a few wrong turns. But I am confident that in the end. I will arrive exactly where God wants me to be.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, brother! Hebrews is a wonderful book for affirming our faith and strengthening our walk. The "Hall of Faith" passage in chapter 11; the cloud of witnesses and running the race set before us at the beginning of chapter 12 - excellent meat for growing strong Christians.

    Congrats on getting close to finishing the study guide. :D

    ReplyDelete