Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The learning curve

After more than a year of peddling my book in a traditional publishing market. I was starting to lose hope it would ever see the light of day on a bookshelf. The only response I received was from a shady outfit that would publish my work for a consulting fee and if it sold the minimum required copies, my "fee" would be refunded.

Since I had an important message to share, I was determined to find a way to get my book into print. I had even considered getting it photo-copied and bound at the local Staples. But the cost for that is prohibitive. Once i figured printing and binding costs, advertising, and shipping, not to mention my labor in all of this, I quickly realized it was not a cost effective way to go.

I researched POD companies. But the costs were also prohibitive in going this method. Again, I would have to put all of the money up front, purchase the books and go from there. The only difference is I would have a book and not a photocopied manuscript.

Then along came Createspace.com. This site will allow me to get my book to market at no or little cost. Well, at least not in terms of money.

So now i am learning to wear some of the many hats it takes to bring a book to market. Not only as the writer, which is the beginning, but other things as well. Like copy editor, layout artist, typesetter, troubleshooter, and publisher.

When they tell you it's a do-it-yourself operation, they are not kidding!

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping to go the traditional route, too, but I'm glad to know Createspace is a good self-publishing option if it doesn't work out the other way. Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

    ReplyDelete